After 5 seasons as stewards of Pilgrim’s Inn, we have observed many things that we truly love about the historic inn, and Deer Isle. We love to share this with our guests, those that have been, and those that have yet to experience Deer Isle. We hope it sparks something in you, which will inspire you to book a stay at Pilgrim’s Inn, so you too can enjoy the sense of place, just as we do.
Relax. Explore. Restore.
- Pilgrim’s Inn is one of the older houses on the island, a Deer Isle Village icon with it’s distinct color and massive scale. It was built to last in 1793. Situated between the expansive Mill Pond and the Northwest Harbor, the grounds have amazing water views, almost like an island within the island.
- Deer Isle is the second largest island in Maine. It is accessible by bridge. But it is still quite remote. The sky is dark here. The stars, planets and Moon are bright. The sunsets are breathtaking. You don’t need to leave Pilgrim’s Inn to experience all this, just go outside and look. No telescope needed.
- Around every turn, down every hill on the road, you will see an amazing water view. And chances are, that view hasn’t changed much in 100 years.
- Nature abounds! The island is rich with preserved land, diverse ecology and geology. Island Heritage Trust maintains many preserves, so you will always have access to great hiking. I love putting on boots and heading to the woods. The moss, the trickle of a brook, the scent of evergreens, sea air, the rich color and texture, the seclusion, are all so very restorative.
- Deer Isle often reminds me of a small scale Acadia National Park. But we are only 90 minutes away, so you get to enjoy both. But we have less crowds, being off the beaten path.
- Oh, the bounty of the sea! Lobster, clams, oysters, fish… Deer Isle fisherman are known to pull the largest haul of lobster from the sea each year. Try scallops that are farmed with sustainable aquaculture practices from PenBay Scallops, a local family business. It doesn’t get fresher than that.
- We take pride in our credo, Relax. Explore. Restore. Pilgrim’s Inn is known for excellent quality. The building has been lovingly cared for, from the original Haskell family and descendants, through several generations of innkeepers. Many architectural details are original. Care goes into the hospitality product, which is more than just a great sleep in a great old house. It’s in the details. We are grateful to all who cared for these old buildings before us, and try to honor that legacy.
- Creatives have always flocked to Deer Isle, because they felt the spark, which ignited their making of art, written work, spirituality. The grounds at Pilgrim’s Inn have been known to inspire as well, with the peaceful setting, views and nature. We love to see our guests immersed in their own creative retreat!
We hope to see you soon!
If you’d like to plan a coastal experience with multiple stops along the way, check out the Inns Along The Coast Of Maine website, to meet the other inn members. You can knit together quite to Coastal Getaway!