Pilgrim's Inn

Crepes on a white plate with blueberry coulis and bacon

Check Availability

7 Things You Need To Know About Maine’s Blueberry Season

Whether during blueberry season or any time, you will enjoy a stay at Pilgrim’s Inn. Our 1793 historic building has views of Northwest Harbor and the Mill Pond out back, and lots of space to roam our grounds. Located on Main Street, our property is steps away from charming local shops and other fun things to do! Surround yourself with the natural beauty of Deer Isle, Maine. Indulge in “the best breakfast on Deer Isle” included in the room rate. Fill your days with activities, or just hang out and relax. The choice is yours.

Curious about Maine Blueberries? Here are 7 Things To Know!

  1. Maine is the largest producer of wild blueberries in the world. Hancock County, Maine, where Pilgrim’s Inn is located, is one of the largest producing counties in Maine. They are harvested from late July through Labor Day, give or take.
  2. The blueberries that grow throughout Maine are considered “lowbush” or wild. Even though they are wild, they are managed by the growers to yield a good crop. The plant that is the predominant crop in Maine is called Vaccinium angustifolium.
  3. Wild Maine blueberries are the tiny ones. The berries tend to be smaller than what you can get year round at the grocery stores. Chefs like to include Maine blueberries in just about anything from salad to cocktails. It’s amazing how versatile these tiny berries can be!
  4. The wild blueberry is the official state fruit of Maine. Blueberry pie is the official state dessert. Maine Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes with Maine Maple Syrup is a guest breakfast favorite at Pilgrim’s Inn. The photo above is Scott’s Ricotta Crepes with Blueberry Coulis. See below for a Pilgrim’s Inn recipe for Blueberry Pie.
  5. Wild Maine blueberries are the perfect superfood, loaded with antioxidants and fiber.
  6. Only 1% of Maine’s wild blueberry crop is sold fresh. They are available in our area at Farmer’s Markets, roadside stands, grocery stores and pretty much everywhere when they are in season. The other 99% are frozen and distributed throughout Maine and the rest of the world.
  7. Guests often ask us about the huge piles of boulders they see scattered throughout blueberry barrens. The wild varieties native to Maine grow in glacial outfalls and on rocky soil. The shrubs are pruned using 2 methods – burning the field or mowing, with pros and cons for each. With all those boulders popping up, for those that choose the mowing method, it becomes a mowing hazard. So growers work around this by moving the boulders into big piles that they can maneuver the mowers around more safely.

If you are curious, the University of Maine Cooperative Extension has bushels of info on blueberries!

Recipe For Joan’s Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins, from The Pilgrim’s Inn Cookbook, by Terry Foster, 1997

Makes 24 muffins

  • 2-1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp cornmeal
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 4-1/2 Tsp baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 cup blueberries
  1. Preheat the oven to 375. Grease 24 two and a half inch muffin cups or line them with paper baking cups.
  2. In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, butter, and buttermilk: gently stir into the dry ingredients just until combined.
  3. Gently fold in the blueberries. Fill the prepared muffin tins three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

This cookbook was published in 1997, the owners at that time were Jean and Dud Hendricks. Terry Foster was the chef. The book is out of print, but we are lucky enough to have inherited a copy!

Photo of the cover of The Pilgrim's Inn Cookbook by Terry Foster.

Relax. Explore. Restore.

Book your stay at Pilgrim’s Inn now, and look forward to Scott’s Maine Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

alp logo
trip advisor logo
Maine Tourism Association logo
Inns Along the Coast logo