Pilgrim’s Inn is lucky to be within walking distance of a handful of outstanding Deer Isle Village galleries, including Deer Isle Artists Association. The natural beauty of the area has drawn artists and writers for ages. The island itself is home to dozens of galleries and studios, Haystack Mountain School of Crafts, and lots of preserves and natural spaces that inspire people to create work of all kinds. We have a rich art presence, in an off the beaten path locale.
In 2021, Pilgrim’s Inn is happy to host the Words and Images Workshop in September. Our neighbors, Maine State Poet Laureate Stu Kestenbaum and Artist and Teacher Susan Webster will guide participants as they make images that inspire writing, writing that inspires images, and create work that can combine the two. Click on the link above, for more information on Words and Images. We can’t wait to catch a glimpse of what our guests create during this unique experience.
Deer Isle Area Galleries and Artists, A Few of Our Favorites:
- Nervous Nellie’s Jams and Jellies, featuring art by Peter Beerits. We have a massive whale sculpture from Peter (featured photo), here on the grounds of Pilgrim’s Inn. We feature their jams and jellies, too, at breakfast. We LOVE to head to the whimsical grounds of NN for an hour of entertainment from time to time.
- Mozelle, just up the street from Pilgrim’s Inn
- Devta Doolan Studio, which anchors the Village, just a short walk away
- Kingman Gallery, featuring photography. Some pieces displayed at Pilgrim’s Inn are on loan from Kingman Gallery.
- The Turtle Gallery, some pieces are on loan to display at Pilgrim’s Inn
- Jill Hoy, which features colorful local landscapes
- Greene Ziner Gallery, clay and metalwork
- so many more! Pick up an Art Guide, browse our brochure rack, check the Chamber of Commerce website…this is just a small sampling of what Deer Isle offers in the realm of art!
Scott and I have been creatively working to update the artwork within the inn. We are focusing on bringing photographs of local places into the guest rooms. You may find local scenes, boats, plants, or sunsets photographed right across the street from Pilgrim’s Inn. Many pieces are for sale, so please ask if you find something you love.
Our guests often choose to stay at Pilgrim’s Inn because of our beautiful, peaceful setting. All rooms have water views and our spacious backyard borders Mill Pond. Feel free to bring some supplies and use our grounds as your outdoor studio. Photographers enjoy the macro and micro on our property, from flowers to fox, and we are happy to tell you about some of our favorite spots to take photos. Book your own ‘plein air’ creative vacation now!
In 2021, legendary Haystack Mountain School of Crafts is taking their learning online, with workshops, lectures and discussions. Check their website for the schedule. One of the highlights during non-COVID times was the end of session auction. It featured the recent work from participating artists, plus entertaining commentary. This was open to the public for an opportunity to purchase art. Although their campus will be closed to the public in 2021, we hope they resume Wednesday tours in the future. It is a great chance to get a glimpse of their amazing campus in the woods.